Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Winter Trips

So, we've all learned that winter is cold.  Right?  Snow and freezing temperatures and cold houses, hot chocolate, snow angels, days off from school, yadda yadda yadda.  Also, please add to your general world knowledge: water is wet, we breathe air, and if you're stuck inside for a couple of hours, make sure that you buy 5 gallons of milk, 4 dozen eggs and 7 loaves of bread.  Because, hey, this could be the BIG one, right?  Fellow nerds, please feel free to chime in with "I haven't seen this much snow since Hoth!"

I say this because, well, I actually like this time of year.  From a purely photographic eye (see what I did there?), the winter is the best for things like "magic hour" and really clear landscape shots.  Just less crap and humidity in the air makes outside photography potentially really rewarding.  And, it's for that reason that, instead of a warm weekend somewhere, my father-in-law, brother-in-law and I will be heading out to southern Utah to Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks to get some shots of the great outdoors there.  I've never been, but it stands to reason that the bright orange rock will only look that much more majestic with a fresh layer of snow on it.

Please note that this is a "take 2."  A couple of years ago, Sara and I tried to do snowy landscapes with very mixed results.  By the time we flew out (again in mid-February) to Yosemite National Park, the temperature was routinely in the mid 50's with about 2-5 inches of white in very select, shaded areas.  And, while it's hard to take bad pictures in our national parks, it was a bit disappointing.  I really wanted it snow-covered.  We had brought all of our deep snow gear including hiking boots, thick socks, gaiters, waterproof pants, the works.  Most of it sat in the suitcases.

But, this time will be different.  There's already 2-feet reported on the ground.  I've got my snowshoes ready to rock.  All the gear we couldn't use last time is still barely used.  We're ready.  I can't wait to report back on our successes and failures towards the end of February.  Also, in the coming weeks I hope to share some of the details of my gear and the logic behind traveling with 30lbs of camera equipment. 

Meanwhile, bundle up.  And, instead of complaining about the conditions, after you're done shoveling, take time to enjoy the snow like I did: make a snow angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment