Friday, September 5, 2014

My fantasy

Now, I know what you're thinking: this has something to do with Gwenneth Paltrow's announcement that she's converting to Judaism.  So, you're saying there's a chance? And, while that would great (wouldn't it?), that's not what this is about.

This is about Fantasy Football!  And, while the NFL started playing games as recently as last night, my wife already made the declaration that she's annoyed at the amount of time I've dedicated to it.  How much?  I friggin' drove to MD for an annual draft party!  Woot for me!  That killed a day...2hrs there, 4hrs drafting, and 2hrs back.  Didn't help much with the kids that day, so I understand where she's coming from.

STILL!  Fantasy football is back...and, even though I'm no good at it, I try and try again!  Next year will be better.  I'll have a better draft strategy.  I'll know more players...pay more attention to training camp.  This year will be a great one for the Giants!  Not.

Not many of these things come to pass.  But, I will admit to spending more than a healthy amount of time during the season.  Because, to get ahead, you have to put in your time.  This game is about statistics and probabilities...simply put.  It's as risky as playing around on a futures market, and not nearly as profitable (or as potentially devastating).  But, it's fun as hell and, if you're in a league, I'm sure you'll agree.

I'm in 3 leagues...two I care about, one I don't give a rats ass about...but will play anyway...because it's also on ESPN and I've already got a league there, so I basically trip over it whenever I log on...and I don't want to seem that I won't compete, because I don't want to piss anyone off and it's not like I have to do any more research...well, not until bye weeks and then only for a few players, but this league does IDP slots as well as a coach slot and what the hell is that? 

The other two are more normal and that includes the one I'm commissioner for.  That takes a bit more commitment.  Before the season you're pestering people from last year to sign up...then you draft, and you have to collect the dues, monitor trades for collusion and skullduggery, and, while this isn't a MUST, I write a weekly e-mail to the league with the results from the previous weekend along with league inside jokes and nonsense.  I'm sure 2 people in the league read it through...or at least skim it until they find their team's name.  Still, I like it because I believe it keeps team owners invested in the game.  Gotta make it fun, ya know?  Even when you're losing...which I tend to do a lot.

So, if I'm a bit distant, cut me some slack.  I'm probably brainstorming a massive 3-person trade, or wondering who I should be picking up from waivers on Monday...or wait to get them as a free agent on Wednesday.  Oh, and add in Giants home games, and I'm a completely inattentive wreck.  What children?  OK, so maybe my wife is right.  Just don't tell her I admitted it in public.  Our little secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment