Friday, November 21, 2014

Feeling lucky



Today I got some e-mails reminding me that I’m a fairly lucky dude.  I could fill this with info about my family, but most of you already know that I’m lucky that any woman, let alone an attractive one, gives me the time of day for more minutes than to ask if “this is the right train”, or “do I know what time it is.” 

That said, I’m feeling lucky due to football.  Sure, that’s a bit of a gimme, but hear me out. 

There’s a time in your life where you consciously (or unconsciously) make the decision that the friends you have are good…and you don’t really need to seek any new meaningful relationship from peers.  It’s not that you’re not polite, or that you don’t interact well with strangers or even your co-workers, but that you’re not going out of your way to make leisure-time plans with new people.  Many of us, between family, existing friends, and co-workers (not to mention your spouse’s) have little time to ourselves to begin with, especially peeps with families, and the idea of cramming someone else into your already busy life is, at the very least, unappetizing.

Back to football:  As you may remember, I attend a fairly robust tailgate when I get to see the Giants play.  Not for nothing, and if you follow the Giants you already know this, but the tailgate is the best part of my football experience.  How’d I find it?  A co-worker was confident that this was the best thing since sliced bread, and that I should, if I get to a game, meet up with him there.  From the description (40-50 people, gourmet food, liquor flowing like the River Nile, etc.) it sounded like a pretty good idea, and, since that first time, I’ve never gone anywhere else.

The Tailgate is like a family.  It’s multi-ethnic.  It’s fiscally diverse.  It’s blue-collar and white collar, and ages range from kids to septuagenarians.  To fully embrace it is to have it fully embrace you.  And, for outdoor dining, it’s probably some of the best (and largest) meals I’ve ever eaten. 

So, when I started talking to some of the regulars, in addition to the Giants, I found that we had lots in common; similar music tastes, kids (or about to have kids), sports, political interests, just life.  These guys (and gals) were great people.  But, I see them for the fall/winter and that’s about it.  Well, the time came where I got an invite to see a concert with them in Asbury Park.  Music conversation told them that I may be hip to their jive.  Sara and I went and we had a really decent time.  Since then, I’ve been to their houses, weddings (best I’ve ever been to), witness to the birth of their children…some ups…some (minor) downs.  I’ve been exposed to their larger friend group who have also been inviting and accepting of us new kids on the block (even the Jets fans in the group).  It’s been great.

Which brings me back to football.  Towards the end of the summer I got a group invite from “them.”  Would I like to be part of a 40th birthday celebration…held at a Giant’s away game?  And while I’ve known these people for the better part of 5 years, I guess I saw myself as part of the outer circle.  Only 5 guys were invited, and four, including myself, will be going with the birthday boy to Nashville for an abbreviated weekend of football, beer and BBQ.  To say that I was flattered is an understatement.  To reiterate, I wasn’t looking to increase the friend-base…but the Fates smiled down upon me, and for that, I’m feeling fairly lucky.  If you need me during the first weekend in December, I’ll be enjoying some fantastic BBQ served from a shack behind the McDonald’s in Nashville, tailgating.  If you’ve been, please tell me what I can buy there for my wife so that she doesn’t disown me when I finally come back!

1 comment: