Friday, March 18, 2016

A Box of Rain



A friend succumbed to cancer this past week.  A good friend?  To tell the truth, I didn’t know him as well as I would have liked.  We had similar interests as professional sports spectators (and sometimes gamblers) and a mutual appreciation for food, family vacations, and friendships.  During his battle, he became absolutely selfless.  His medical needs were being addressed to a degree, and this allowed him to focus on his visitors, constantly offering anything he had to make them more comfortable.  I noticed this, but didn’t realize that throughout his life, this was how he operated.  Eulogy after eulogy given by his family and mentors all said the same thing: Darren just wanted to make sure you were OK, that you were happy and taken care of.  It was amazing to hear that theme repeated again and again.  I’m thankful for knowing him and will miss him, if, for nothing else, the lack of opportunity to know him better. 

I’m almost certain he and I didn’t share the same musical taste, but every song I listen to reminds me that he’s gone, and that he’s left his family stronger for the experience.  As an avid Grateful Dead fan, the following lyrics have been repeating in my head for a while now, and I’d like to share them with you. 

Walk into splintered sunlight
Inch your way through dead dreams
to another land
Maybe you're tired and broken
Your tongue is twisted
with words half spoken
and thoughts unclear
What do you want me to do
to do for you to see you through
A box of rain will ease the pain
and love will see you through.

Rest in peace, Darren.  And, as was evidenced by the hundreds who attended your funeral yesterday, we will make sure that love sees us through.

#ledermanstrong


No comments:

Post a Comment