Thursday, June 9, 2016

Hashtags...you're it!




So, I’m on a campaign to bring forward some hashtags that you may or not recognize.  With most social media platforms recognizing them in search results, it behooves us to become familiar so that we are up with the times. 

#imwithher – This one speaks for itself, especially if you’re not living in a cave with your fingers over your eyes and your thumbs in your ears (a bit more creative than #berniesanders…granted, I do like #feelthebern).  It was easy to find Hillary supporters on Twitter by searching for this hashtag…but I prefer to be a bit more circuitous...

#imwithmeghan – Meghan is, as many are, a vocal supporter of Hillary.  And, rather than blindly support someone I’ve never met, I trust that Meghan is representing the truth in her posts about the Democratic front-runner.  In fact, I’ve been so obnoxious about it, I think this is the only thing I’ve posted on Meghan’s facebook page in over a month…over and over again.  Sorry Meghan.  Have worse taste and I wouldn’t agree with you as much.

#nottrump or #governot – Speaking of bad taste…these are two that I believe should be popular.  I’m certain that I’m not the only one using #nottrump.  In fact, FaceBook shows that over 92,000 people have used the hashtag in posts.  That’s cool.  The other is how I feel about the governor of NJ.  He’s been mentally out of the state for years.  Now he’s back here, if, for no other reason than it’s his job.  He’s vetoing things left and right, most recently disallowing pay raises for public employees in South NJ…people who haven’t gotten cost-of-living pay raises for his entire tenure as governor.  Yeah, he shot down 2%.  #whattayutz. (also trendy: #mygovernorcaneatyourgovernor)

#instagood – This one’s specific to Instagram users who are, presumably posting their absolute best images.  Sometimes, if the photo is really good, it’ll be featured on the Instagram page of the same name.  Problem is, everyone posting pictures to Instagram thinks their image is good enough to share, so whether the pictures are merely good or instagood is completely subjective.  Frankly, I would be more into an honest #instakindofallrightbutnotgreat.

#27nillas – This is how many Nilla wafers (Nabisco) I could fit in my mouth in the spring of 1994.  It’s been photo documented.  I handily beat Sean Durkin in a competition, and we must extoll our extraordinary accomplishments.  Granted, I’m far more mature now.  I could, with my current life experience, probably fit more.  #withagecomeswisdomandnillas.  Don’t judge. #imtalentedANDgoodlooking.

#butfirstfolgers – Don’t be a H8R, but some funny marketing has been going on.  Hashtags.org reports that one of the most popular hashtags on Twitter is this one…as the @shespeaks marketing company (“We connect influencers with brands & causes they care about. Join us for giveaways, Twitter parties & more. Bloggers: work with brands & grow your audience”) is giving away everything from Amazon gift certificates to Keurig coffee machines, and, yes, Folger’s coffee pods.  And, if we know anything about the history of Folger’s products, this may be the last thing you’d want to get for free.  



In truth, the best part about hashtags is that they can be anything that’s appropriate for your particular situation…which would then be searchable…however, the more creative you get, the less likely anybody but you will know how to do that.  Which is why I don’t use “#” for much more than #shitsandgiggles. 

#bloggies

No comments:

Post a Comment