Thursday, July 14, 2016

Still Crazy

So, I met my wife on J-Date.  I'm a bit cheap to pay for it, but, in those days, you could embed your personal e-mail address in your profile.  Sara had an actual 3-month trial membership that she got with the purchase of the Christmas Eve Jewish singles event, the Matzah Ball, held at Webster Hall in NYC. 

She wrote me first. 

Just a sentence, mind you, to say that our profiles looked compatible.  I wrote her a single sentence indicating that, yes, they did.  Then, I wrote her a dissertation about who I was, how many brothers and sisters I had, and why I lived dual lives as both Herbert and Scott.  And, it wasn't enough to scare her away.  However, our first date was at the Famished Frog in Morristown, NJ...on a Thursday night, so as to not ruin another perfectly good weekend with, essentially, a blind date.

The date went well.  I was so nervous about this date that I ordered a salad.  She did too.  And, after dinner and talking, we walked a little bit around Morristown, hand in hand, talking more and me getting her to her car safely.

The next day, I committed the dating faux pas of writing her right away.  I explained that I didn't typically do that, but there was something I had to tell her that I didn't tell other women I dated.  I said that she needed to bear with me with this news as it could be upsetting, but that I'd be remiss in my responsibilities as a man if I didn't immediately write her and let her know...that her taillight was out.

Sara promptly forwarded this lengthy (and hysterical) e-mail to her best friend who wrote back and said, "you're going to marry this dork."

That was January 2002.  Today is our 11th anniversary.  Shit worked out well for me.  Yeah, the whole wife thing is cool, but I got an awesome new family...including more little brothers and sisters to torture with my over-the-top humor.  And, while they all regret the coupling, I don't.  Both of my kids are already smarter than I am.  It's awesome.  Johanna is telling me daily to shave my face.  Jude is schooling me in Pokemon.  And, Sara just smiles.

Happy Anniversary, love...I'm ready for 11 more (but then that's it, I'll have had ENOUGH!...ok, maybe not.)


No comments:

Post a Comment