Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Paul Ash



I know that most of the world is mourning, or at least recognizing, the death of Shirley Temple Black.  And, while she was able to impact lives both on and off screen, I’d like to bring to the forefront the death of another cultural icon: Paul Ash.


About 15 years ago, I came into possession of a used electric guitar from my grandmother.  Her friend had given it to her and she was about to put it into the “kids” bin for my sibs and cousins to play with/destroy.  I hadn’t picked up a guitar since I was about 7 or 8, but recognized this one as potentially “real” and playable, and so I took it. 

As far as I can tell, it was a Fender Fat Strat knock-off.  A solid body with glossy black finish, maple neck and rosewood fretboard.  On the electronic side, it sported two humbuckers.  Knowing next to nothing about guitars, I brought it to Sam Ash, handed it to one of the employees and said “I don’t even know if this thing works.”  The long-haired I-work-here-for-the-discount sales person plugged it in, tuned it…shredded it, and said “Yah, dude.  I see what you mean.  The neck needs to be straightened and pots need to be cleaned.  We’ll also put on a set of light strings for you.”  My mouth was still on the floor, and $130 later, I walked out with the reconditioned guitar and 10W Vox amp.  I was now on the road to becoming a musician.

Now, the headstock wasn’t shaped like a Fender.  It was more pointy and had the name “Sammy” in cursive on the top between the tuners.  A brief internet search showed that there are tons of Fender knock-offs…but I wanted to know the genesis of this guitar.  I called Sam Ash headquarters on Long Island, described my issue to the receptionist, and she transferred me to someone who would know the history of Sam Ash’s products.  “Hello, this is Paul Ash, how can I help you?”

What happened next was the most generous 45 minutes that any president of a major retailer has ever given me (an arguably short list).  I described the guitar, he looked through catalogues, checked the computer, and while the search yielded nothing, he was just as interested in the guitar as I was.  We said our goodbyes, but I was so floored that an Ash answered the phone, that the majority of my music purchases have been at Sam Ash.

There’s something to be said for family-run businesses, and Sam Ash is still one of the greatest.  While prices of the merchandise continue to drop due to Amazonian globalization, they still maintain 46 stores all across the US with a huge New York presence.   I haven’t been to the new 34th Street location, but I understand the need for more space than what they were getting in Times Square.  I’m sure it’s awesome, and can’t wait for my next mid-town trip so that I can check it out, and mentally pay my respects.

No comments:

Post a Comment