Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Audience Participation



Hey folks…so, now, a couple of times, I’ve hinted at music that I think you’d like…which is an absolute farce because I still don’t know my audience.  There’s about 15 of you who religiously read this (one from Germany, way to go international popularity!) and, based on my Northeast spin on life (i.e. random rants) I would guess that we’re similarly minded.  Doesn’t bother me.  I know diversity is the spice of life, but why would you continually read/react to something that you abhorred?

That said, it’s time for you, the reader, to weigh in.  Specifically, I’m looking for music…opinions, brief explanations, etc. of music that was released in 2013.  Last year I polled my extended family to see what they were listening to.  Turns out that there was some incredible music released in 2012 and I was only seeing the tip of that iceberg.  This year I’d like to open it up to you, the people…my people, to let me know what was good in 2013. 

But, before you go there, I’d like you to dig a little deeper than the obvious.  I’ve largely enjoyed Daft Punk’s album, which I consider (with it’s Grammy win) POP music.  I understand that it hits a couple of different genres…but, still, to tell me that Daft Punk is your favorite album of 2013 is a bit of a gimme.  In that category, which my brother-in-law would attest to, is Kanye’s “Yeezus.”  Having not heard it all the way through, I can’t attest to its potential longevity, i.e. place in musical history, but the kids seem to like them some Kanye.

For me, just because I didn’t buy many albums released in 2013, I guess the one that gets the most play on my iPhone is “Volume 3” by She and Him.  It’s not eye-openingly unique.  Other brother-in-law showed me the band Camera Obscura which largely hangs its hat on a similar sound: retro-pop.  But, I’m a sucker for Zoey Deschanel and feel that because I already owned Volumes 1, 2 and their Christmas album, that I should include Volume 3 in my collection.  Maybe it’s the allure of “New Girl” on FOX or her silver screen performances, but she holds a special place in my heart (because she looks like a hot neighbor I’d like to have).

So, what’s it for you?  Feel free to use the comments section below and let me know what was good in 2013.  Identify genre, artist and titles when applicable.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment