Friday, August 1, 2014

Jerry's Day



I’ll keep this short since I heaped praise on Weird Al a couple weeks ago.  That said, Happy Jerry day.  Today would have been Jerry Garcia’s 72nd birthday.  Regardless if your impression of his contribution to this world, whether it be positive or negative, you can’t argue that the man wasn’t musically gifted.  His life’s work was a blend of folk, rock, jazz, country, bluegrass and gospel and left an indelible mark (4-fingered) on the American music scene for over 30 years.  And, you don’t have to go far to find contemporary musicians who emulate and/or cover his body of work in modern arenas (see: Dark Star Orchestra). 

So with that, I leave you with one of my favorite Jerry-sung tunes that the Dead performed between 1969 and August 9, 1995 when Jerry passed.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment