Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Gaming



I wasn’t a huge video game head when I was a kid.  Sure, our family had access to both the Atari 2600 and Atari 7800 (with keyboard), and then, in the late 80s our parents broke down and got us the Cadillac of consoles, the Nintendo Entertainment System.  But, that all happened in middle and high school. 

It’s 2014, and last holiday season, I bought a copy of Lego Marvel Superheroes to share with my son, who, at that point, was 4 1/2.  In the last year, we’ve made it our time to play together.  If he’s playing, I’m next to him, helping him with some of the puzzles…teaming with him where two players are absolutely necessary, and just having a great time. He’s into it.  What kid wouldn’t be?  Since then, we’ve completed well over 80% of the game (because it tells us we did).  Say what you want about kids and video games, this one has lent itself to positive time with my son and I that neither my wife or daughter (yet) can participate in.

Oh, and I love it.  I’ve been a big fan of the Lego computer games since they released Lego Star Wars years ago (finished 100% of that one).  So, as the holidays grow closer, I thought I’d share that most of the Lego series is available on Steam for $5 a game. 

Yes…$5 for a game.

What’s Steam?  Steam is a clearinghouse of videogames where, with a username, password and credit card, you can bypass Toys R Us, Amazon, Target or anyplace else where computer games are sold, and buy a download of a game, direct to your computer.  It’s available for both Mac and PC.  I know Macs already have their App store in OSX, but this makes it possible for PC Users to get in on the direct download action.  Also, if the game supports it, multiplayer is handled through Steam’s servers so that you can interact with other players online. 

How to start?  First, download Steam and create your account, much like you would any online retailer.  Note that this is actually software that sits on your desktop (task bar) and, when you’re connected to the internet, you’re good to go. 

Back to Lego for a minute: the $5 seems done, but the game is still available for $10 less than rival brick & mortar stores.  And, even if you purchase it through Amazon, it only provides you with an activation key, which you then have to use with Steam anyway.

Regardless, I think the games are worth it, and after a little troubleshooting, they work just as well as the console versions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment