Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The Two Step



A quick note about internet safety, if someone wants to access your e-mail account very badly, then they will, and there’s really nothing you can do about it.  Case in point, today, I received an e-mail from a contractor/friend that my wife and I used many times in our house in Westfield.  Really honest guy and did good work (met him while getting coffee in Maria’s in Chester, NJ…so if you’re in the Morris County area, I will hook you up).  The e-mail was designed to look like a Dropbox link with a header that read “You have a pending incoming docs (sic) shared with you via Dropbox. Click to open: SECURE MESSAGE.”  Then there was a brief sentence explaining Dropbox and a logo for that company. 

The first tip that this was bogus was the lousy English used.  “You have a pending incoming docs…”  What?  OK…I’ll bite.  I hovered my mouse over the single link to see where it went
(do not click!)
www.vialorran.com.br...plus a number of forward slashes and other folder horseshit.

Hrm…not a Dropbox link?  How very strange. 

So, thinking that this was most likely a robo-hack of a friend’s account, I replied and wrote the following “Hey Rob, I got this from your e-mail address.  It's not legit and may contain a virus.  You probably want to reset your password. Herb Scott”

A minute later, I got this:

“It is legit. Please sign in and view the documents i sent to you. Thank you”

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.  Next step was to call Rob.  The shortsightedness of the thief was that I wouldn’t be able to alert the account owner.  Got on the phone with Rob and he said that I was the third person to make him aware of this and that he was on it.

Most scary was that someone took the time, while in Rob’s account, to reply!  HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT!

What to do?  Rob will reset his password, and, hopefully will heed my recommendation to activate the two-step authorization that Google/Gmail allows for.  Simply, once you enter your username and password for your e-mail, a SMS/Text message is sent to your phone with a unique 6-digit number which you then have to enter into your browser window in order to complete your log-in process.  It’s all explained much better here. 


If you’re using one of these Cloud accounts (i.e. Google, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) it is imperative that you cover your digital ass with a 2-step verification.  Also also…a dude who cracks your PW for one site is going to be tempted to use it on others, such as Amazon, PayPal, and any credit-card married website so as to really hit the cyber-theft jackpot.  People, YOU CAN NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD FOR EACH WEBSITE YOU ACCESS…EVER…DON’T DO IT.  There are a number of password logs available for iOS and Android…and/or you could create a syntax where you have a root PW and then different prefix or suffix unique to each site you sign up/in for. 

Today it was Rob, and I hope that he was able to get it under control before there was any real damage done.  I know that those thieves know I responded to his e-mail that I’m a real e-mail address…and I wouldn’t put it past them to try my account next.  Luckily, I’ve got 2-step verification going on, and hopefully that will be enough to keep them out.  Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment