Friday, September 11, 2015

Rev. Pig Pen Delivers the word of God



Many people will write about remembering 9/11, and while that’s worthy, I think we should do so with music.  I know that shortly after 9/11, I heard REM’s “Everybody Hurts” and to this day, when I hear that song, I immediately think of the Towers and aftermath.  It’s cliché, I know, but the words were true to me: “Sometimes, everything is wrong.”  Without air traffic in the US, skies were strangely quieter.  Like most, I displayed a small American flag on my car to show solidarity.  

In hindsight I can’t tell you that I questioned the, then president’s, decision to act militarily…but I remember wondering why Sikh Indians, and Hindus with Bindi were being harassed.  Where 9/11 was concerned, our ignorance continued as racial profiling became the rule of law.  Plans for the construction of a peaceful center for Islamic Prayer in Lower Manhattan was being blocked by religious zealots…why?  Blind generalizations, misunderstanding the facts, and belief that their goal was above the law, in this case planning and zoning. 

As the last week has demonstrated, based on the Supreme Court Ruling, the law says you can worship in your own way, as long as you’re not forcing your religious views onto others.  That said, you can choose to listen to the link below or not.  I find it uplifting and positive in this world where those qualities seem to be in short supply.  I’ll let the Reverend Pig Pen deliver his sermon from 1970, at the Filmore East, New York City.  But, in short, the message is this: “You broke my heart.  [but] turn on your light, let it shine on me.  Turn on your love light; let it shine on me.  Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.”  Love yourself enough to love another and act accordingly.


No comments:

Post a Comment