Thursday, November 12, 2015

StarCups



I tend to surround myself by like-minded individuals on FaceBook.  But, every now and then I get someone up in arms about something I believe to be completely stupid.  And then this article came out:

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/09/starbucks-holiday-red-cup-brews-controversy-on-social-media.html

And, FaceBook became the battlefield on which the “War on Christmas” has started to rage.  (Note: typically when Trump is for something, I can almost guarantee I’m against it.)

This whole debate is very aggravating for a non-Christian such as myself.  I’m going to make some generalizations without any documented evidence, so just follow along.

1.
There is no war on Christmas.  Usually, this is a gut reaction to when a commercial entity tones down otherwise religious themes in order to appeal to a broader marketable audience.  The first instinct from the religious public is that the commercial entity is softening their approach.  Yes.  This is capitalism.  And, if a company thinks they’ll make more money during a “Holiday Season” vs. strict “Christmas-only” celebrations, then it’s certainly within their rights to do so.  And, as a consumer, you have a choice: you can turn a blind eye to a company’s (most likely) fiscal initiatives, or you can shop somewhere else.  So, before you start raging that the War on Christmas is on, bitches, teach that company a lesson, and spend your money elsewhere.  We Jews, Hindus, Muslims, etc. will likely fill the void as our holidays roll in around the same time.  (P.S. did you know that it’s already Diwali???)

2.
Are you telling me that a seasonal conveyance of coffee that is exclusively red and green represents anything other than Christmas?  Even toned down, this can’t be mistaken for anything other than Christmas colors.  So, idiot, get the fuck over it and, I challenge you to draw your own goddam snowflakes and Christmas trees on it to your liking…because, everyone is obviously staring at your cup in hopes for religious guidance and approval. It. Is. A. Cup.

3.
For those who have posted “No matter what is said to me, I’m never uttering the phrase ‘Happy Holidays’ because I’m Christian, and anything less than ‘Merry Christmas’ is a personal affront and demeaning to the season,” well, sir/madam, you’ve now made it easy (and logical) to block your narrow-minded ass from my FaceBook feed.  Certainly, I wouldn’t be offended if someone who doesn’t know me wished me a Merry Christmas.  That’s casual.  However, if you’re going to be an ass-clown about your insistence that Jesus is the only game in town this time of year, go beat feet, my friend.  You’re the reason why, internationally, the world thinks Americans are fat and ignorant.  And, taking pride in your ignorance is nothing to be proud of.  Being loudest doesn't mean you're right.

To sum up, nobody is waging war on your religion, Christians. Until they change it, the Constitution has clearly made religious freedom a priority…which means you can practice any way you choose.  However, as soon as you start your “I’m right and you’re wrong” religious intolerance hate speech, you can count me out…or rather, I can count you out.  Christmas has never been more publicized than it is today.  NEVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.  As long as there is money to be made from it, expect the advertisements and rhetoric to get louder and more in your face.  This fact alone makes it hard to be a non-Christian in this country.  You can’t go shopping in any store without the constant affront.  However, I have a suggestion for those feeling nostalgic about years past when there wasn’t this controversy: if you want to return to those good old times…the Norman Rockwell Christmases of the early part of the 20th Century, then I suggest you do what they did in the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s and 50’s…and get the messages of Jesus Christ from Church instead of Starbucks.

Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment