Thursday, December 3, 2015

It wasn't enough so we try again

Last time I urged you to write your US congresspeople.  Now, if you're an NJ resident, I implore you to write your state legislators.  Today, a measure to overturn the Governor's veto regarding extra level of review when issuing gun permits to citizens who have been treated for mental illness, was nearly defeated. 

This isn't an issue with the 2nd amendment, but, instead, permits a judge to review the facts of a previously diagnosed mentally ill person prior to their receiving permission to purchase a fire arm. 

In the wake of San Bernardino, it is imperative that we start the reform NOW. 

I'll help.  Copy and paste and fill in what you need to, and send this to your legislators in NJ whether they be R or D.  Get this done!

"Dear Legislators,

I want to take this opportunity to voice what I believe to be the popular opinion of the general public: there needs to be gun control reform in this country, now.  That said, I am disappointed at the near defeat of the Veto override regarding potentially tighter review of gun purchase applications by citizens that had previously been diagnosed with mental illness.  To be quite honest, I don't know why this wasn't already in place.  Also, because it's not a straight denial of a purchase application, but supplemental review, I don't believe that this is an issue of the 2nd Amendment.

I ask that you reach across the aisle so that, on December 17, 2015, when this will be voted on again, there will be enough votes to sustain a veto override.  I don't care about statistics regarding the Governor's near perfect record regarding his veto power.  I do care about gun control in light of what has happened in Colorado and most recently California.  It's time to change our nations view on firearm accessibility.  This is a no-brainer.  However, if you don't vote to override the Governor's maneuver to pander to a right-wing National caucus while ignoring New Jersey, then you're part of the problem. 

I thank you for your time and I know you're going to do the right thing, and change gun reform laws for the overall benefit and safety of our society. 

Thank you for your time,"









And then click here and e-mail this mother out.  If you don't write your politicians, then you're no better than they are.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/roster.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment