Friday, August 19, 2016

New Best Moments

It seems that I've been having a few really good moments lately, and it seems that they stem mostly from my kids.  Sure, once you have the damn things, you're supposed to enjoy them, but I feel like, lately, they've made some lasting memories and I hope to capture them here...not for you to enjoy so much, but for me to eventually remember.

In San Francisco and Monterey (and Pacific Grove), two such memories come to mind.  First, any trip to San Francisco with children wouldn't be complete without a trip on the cable cars.  Don't you dare call them trolleys.  They've got those too, but these are cable cars...drawn up and down the hills by moving cables in the streets.  While Jude was concerned for my Sara's and my well being as we hung off the sides as if to star in the next Rice-A-Roni advertising campaign, Johanna felt the wind in her face and was all smiles as she sat there.  It's something that, due to my hanging on, I couldn't capture on my phone, but I hope to remember her joy for years and years...as she grows into a teenager and torments my very existence.

Secondly, Monterey is known for its aquarium...and rightly so.  The building is dedicated to the educating about the preservation of California's Pacific Ocean marine life.  One of the most moving parts for me was the numerous displays about how our waste, plastic in general, is contributing to the decline of certain species...and the growth of a huge mass of floating plastic garbage in the Pacific Ocean.  I've been to a few aquariums in my day, and even the National Aquarium in Baltimore, while an exceptional spectacle of sea life (and Australian and South American avian species), it's more of a "show" than a call to action.  That said, when Jude and I spent some time alone, playing on the rocky shore of Pacific Grove, we were able to see seals and otters, birds and anemones, crabs and mussels and fish.  He eventually turned to me as he replaced several hermit crabs into the pools and said, "Dad, we didn't even need to go to the aquarium.  All the animals are here." 

Mission Accomplished.

Finally, another missed photographic opportunity, Jude and I, joined by friends of ours, were able to make the first New York Giants preseason game.  And, while the spectacle is a bit toned down due to the fact that it's not a "real" football game, the Giants still put out the smoke machines and fireworks when they announce the team as they run out of the tunnels and onto the field.  Jude's face was all smiles.  Mine was too.  I love football, and have obviously instilled my enthusiasm and excitement about the start of the new season into the boy.  There will be many opportunities this season for high fives and belly bumps (and our secret hand-shake) when the Giants do well (and they will, I promise), but nothing can replace the pure joy in his face as he saw them for the first time this season.  Jude is why I have the tickets, and thanks to Sara and Bruce's forethought and understanding that this was going to be something special.  So far, the return on investment is incalculable.

In short, I think I'm getting a handle on these kids.  As they get older and start developing preferences, it makes it easier, however, presenting them with new experiences is largely trial and error.  I'm excited that we've had some awesome successes, with dramatically positive results (you should have seen Johanna hugging the coastal sequoias).  Now, if there was only a way to make roasted beats with agave super exciting.  Methinks that might be a square peg in a round hole.


No comments:

Post a Comment