Thursday, February 1, 2018

Inconsistent

I didn't watch the President in his State of the Union address.  And, in hindsight, I'm glad I didn't.  Honestly, based on a year's worth of empty rhetoric, it was obvious to me that, no matter what he said, in a week's time, he'll say that he never said those words.  His ability to about-face without consequence has been one of the most upsetting components of his "Presidential" style.  So, why would I waste 2 hours of my time listening to a man who, when it becomes fashionable, will back-track regardless of the proof otherwise.

Amazingly, I've ready a number of reviews where even the New York Times reported that what he said was mostly true.  The economy is roaring.  Joblessness rates have fallen.  Companies keep chirping about what a great thing the corporate tax break has been, and how they're reinvesting (some) back into their employees.  Those are all good things, and, frankly, are largely due to this business-first President.

And then Captain Asshat starts his continued needling of the FBI, this time through Republican agents in Congress with a highly edited memo.  Certainly, with the recent resignation of the Deputy Director, and his continued anger that there's even an investigation going on, it makes sense that any opportunity he and his minions get, they'll try to trash the integrity of those, supposedly, standing in his way with a "burn it down" attitude. 

Still, I'm troubled with his paranoid assumptions that all existing agencies are skewed against him and his agenda.  While it's clear to me that leadership of those agencies under an Obama White House should be replaced by any successor, it's his constant attacks and vitriol against the lower employees, some who have worked efficiently under both Republican and Democratic administrations, that bothers me most.  As one who has had to hold his government job under a fiercely Republican governor, my side-jokes aside, I performed just as I did when I worked under a Democratic administration because the law that established my office is just that, the law.  The policy changes that occurred during the new administration's were largely financial: we did less because they cut our budget to plug other leaks in the dike.  Yes, I didn't agree with the politics of what was happening in my state, but that didn't preclude me from doing my job.  If anything, I doubled down to make sure that the mission of the law was being carried forth, to the best of my ability. 

I will make the assumption that large numbers of employees of the Federal government who are cogs and not figureheads are doing the same.  I get that in this day of social media even those cogs get a say about the policies they may be forced to support, but then it's the directors of those employees to weed out the people who are actually standing in the way of progress...who are proven to be obstructionist and not just because their wife made a donation to the party who lost the election.  That's ridiculous. 

Without polling anyone, and without knowing actual numbers, I would believe that the majority of employees who work in State and Federal government do so because they want to improve social services for their constituency.  That statement alone may be enough for a conservative politician to expect that the world is against him or her.  There's no use whining about it.  Instead, get your ass in gear to name your appointments that they can then move policy to be in line with the administrative agenda.  Don't drag your feet because the more quickly you can install like-minded directors, the more quickly you can have consistency at the governmental level and right the perceived wrongs of your predecessors.  Anything less and you're just part of the partisan problem this nation doesn't need at this point in history.

And stop bragging about your Neilson ratings.  It's pathetic as much as it's inconsistent with the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment