Tuesday, May 13, 2014

To sum up

Let me explain.  No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

Health news:

I came, I saw, I got the green light to move forward with my life.  In short, x-rays showed continued bone growth in my leg...enough to convince the Good Dr. (Tardis excluded) that I was due for a PT script and a "partial weight bearing" on my right leg.  Also, when comfortable, I'm allowed to drive, which will alleviate much work tension and allow my awesome co-workers to get on with their effing lives instead of picking me up/dropping me off every day.

FaceBook/Football news: 

It seems that those stupid quizzes have run their course.  I see less and less of them every day.  It's been replaced with baseball hopes, hockey scores, NBA gibberish (go Nets?), and football drafts.  Fine.  I can at least see the logic in those. 

Speaking of which, for those who know me, I'm a huge NY Football Giants fan.  And, while I pay close attention to their workings, I don't follow the changes to other teams as closely.  That said (and obviously, working in a vacuum), I believe that their off-season moves, including the draft were awesome.  And, as a season ticket holder, I'm happy, especially after the debacle which was last season.  Also, in my estimate, and this isn't as much of a dig as it's going to sound, I think that their off-season maneuvers were more productive than the stadium rivals in green.  It remains to be seen, but, on paper (and we all know how that works in reality), Giants will thrive, and the Jets are doomed to have a new coach in 2015.  That's my opinion and bold predictions based on zero games played, and without spending a lot of time doing the math.  Take it as you will.

Sonic Fury news:

Apple bloggers are now predicting that the newest iOS will include provisions to allow for higher bit-rate audio through both the lightning cable and headphone jack.  What's that mean?  Apparently the request for higher-quality audio is coming through loud and clear.  While Apple has had a lossless audio codec (ALAC) for a while, neither the lightning connector nor the headphones bundled with the phone could handle the extra detail supposedly preserved in this larger file format.  With regards to my earlier rant about Neil Young's Pono player and audio store, Apple would prefer not to lose those customers with existing iDevices, and so, it seems likely that iOS 8.0 will address this, new lightning cables will be issued with new phones, and the apple headphones will likely get more complex, with higher impedance and better overall sound.  TBD, but overall, a move in the right direction, especially for those of us audiophiles who are moving in this direction anyway.  Thanks Apple (maybe?) and this may explain why you just spend $3.2 Billion with a "b" on Beats Audio by Dr. Dre. 

And, that's the news.  Stay tuned for next week's installment of "what's he bitching about this week."




No comments:

Post a Comment