Friday, September 30, 2016

It's a New Year

It's the Jewish New Year this weekend, and I'm frankly not feeling it.  This whole election thing is bringing me down.  There's a palpable tension in the air.  Is he up?  Is she up?  This one's marital infidelities.  That one's wife posing nude.  Mud-slinging rhetoric and grandstanding.

Yesterday I got a call from the HRC campaign and they left a message.  I'm sure they were asking for money.  I don't really have money to give an already flush campaign.  Yeah, sure, she wouldn't be if her peeps weren't constantly hitting people up for cash.  She's already got my vote, more and more because she's not Trump.  Good god.  Dumpster fire. 

I would have said that he's like a train-wreck...but in light of Hoboken, that seems insensitive.  In fact, it seems that the more I hear about the Hoboken crash, the more I think it would have been possible to avoid it completely.  So, put your politics aside, and say this name once today: Fabiola Bittar de Kroon.

She was here recently from Brazil.

Her husband was in Pennsylvania on business.

She had just dropped off her 18 month old daughter at daycare.

This shit happens.  This shit happened to me and so it's a bit more prescient.  And, ultimately, by some miracle, my situation got drastically better.  Her family's won't.

I'm going to go donate blood tomorrow in honor of Fabiola and those who were injured in yesterday's accident.  If that's your thing, then I ask you to consider donating in the near future.  It's something you can do that costs you no money and actually is guaranteed to help someone who needs it.

If it's not your thing, money always helps.  Find a non-profit to contribute to.  My favorite charities are the American Red Cross, the Livestrong Foundation, and the Gates Foundation.  You can sit idly by, or you can do a little something for someone else.  I encourage you to choose the latter this weekend and start your year (if you celebrate) in the right direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment