Friday, October 14, 2016

Ringing Hallow

And another thing...

If you go to Amazon and type in "woman's Halloween costume" I challenge you to find one that's not either skin-tight or short skirted.  If we're going to be honest with ourselves and our desire to change the cultural mindset away from abusive tendencies, then I suggest we also address the capitalistic skeleton in our closet.  Shit wouldn't be this way if we weren't buying this crap/playing into the stereotype that all women's costumes should be alluring/sexy.  What message are we sending to our daughters when the first two Harry Potter costumes for women are "Sexy Death Eater" and "Jojo Sexy Gorgeous Wizard Wanda?"  I don't even know what the fuck that is, but I do know, from the picture, it's supposed to be a student at Hogwarts who had lip fillers, fake boobs, and is at least 22...which means she's failed Potions class more times than she's willing to admit.

Gizmodo nailed it when they wrote this blog entry identifying the most terrifying "sexy" costumes available this year. 

So my thought is this: if we're so adamant that a man shouldn't be talking about forcing himself on women as a lark, then we should also change the frat-party culture that a woman's desire to dress up for Halloween needs to include bared breasts and spandex.  This isn't the ONLY thing that needs to change regarding our collective mindset, just one that comes to the forefront every year around this time. 

And, if you think, well, who's buying that stuff anyway, I urge you to attend New York City's parade on the 31st.    A simple Google search of last year's event proves the point. 

I'm saying these things not to dissuade people from dressing up the way they want to.  I'm saying them because I'd like my daughter to be able to see that, when you hit a certain age (have a certain body) it's not expected.  Right now I'm having issue with the Mouse from Florida.  The Disney propaganda machine has infiltrated my home.  And, yes, I think my daughter is a princess, but due to the Mouse media machine, the theme is neigh unavoidable.  Still, my little girl will always be told that she can be anything she wants to...including President of the United States, or Rapunzel...but that neither need to display compromised modesty or values to be represented correctly.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment