Thursday, February 2, 2017

Compassionate Plea

For better or for worse, Sara's 2-year anniversary of her accident passed; better because she is; worse that I'm very frequently reminded of that uncertain time.

My posts about her condition were intended to be optimistic...mostly for selfish reasons.  I wanted people to not constantly ask me about how her recovery was going.  At first, it didn't appear that it was as her status didn't change much day to day.  Eventually, she did make an almost full recovery, and so, without getting back into the weeds of what needed to happen to have her the way she is today, let's just say that it worked.

That said, the reason I'm even writing about this is because of FaceBook.  The easiest way to communicate with friends, family and the community that was quickly rallying around her was by posting to FB.  It had some very positive and unintended consequences.  For one, my family was able to live on one salary uninterrupted.  My friends went to the grocery store for me and bought me groceries.  My kids were shuttled wherever they needed to be without question.  And, the comments and support I received was unified and loving and sensitive from everyone.

My selfishness is kicking in again.  All of the above happened regardless of religion or political belief in the name of humanitarian kindness for someone they knew or knew through me/family/friends/her work.   It was powerful and it was constant until she was able to finally return to home for her new lease on life. 

We need this now.

I know that it is far easier to care about someone you know, even if it's on the periphery, but that overwhelming support for me, should translate even more for those in war-torn countries?  No?  Or our student body in public schools?  Or for anybody who has family here from another country...or came from another country?

I understand the desire to "turtle:" bringing in your head, arms and legs into the shell so that you can protect yourself.  However, there is a delicate balance between liberty and security.  And this is not new:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

"[L]iberty is to be free from restraint and violence from others." John Locke

It is a question as old as our democracy.  Personally, I believe that we should sacrifice the perceived safety garnered by closing our borders to specific ethnicities and countries.  There are good people everywhere...people who are suffering...people who just want better lives.  The Statue of Liberty's inscription doesn't say "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!...except for those from Yemen or Syria or Mexico."  We were supposed to be a haven for the oppressed, a genuine melting pot of culture where, as long as you're not negatively impacting those around you, you're free to practice what you like. 

For those still impacted by the recession, I understand the allure of an administration claiming to make your lives better financially.  However, to what end?  The money we save by cutting "red-tape" on the environment will have to be spent on increased international pricing due to our more strict import tariffs.   Illegal immigrants are the grease that allows this country to move...including the one who hit Sara in her accident.  While it seems counter-intuitive, I understand that illegal immigrants are how I get my groceries delivered, how my dishes are washed at a restaurant, how my yard is landscaped, how my construction projects are completed on time and at a competitive price.  Once those people are removed from the equation, a part of our functioning society will go with it...one that's absolutely necessary as more and more "Americans" seek white-collar work.

I know I probably will not change the minds of anyone with this post, but, before you get into your next FaceBook argument or you start de-friending everyone with an opposing view, try to think about all the issues with a lens on humanity and compassion, much like you showed me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment