Friday, February 17, 2017

I give up

No, this is not a post about the Cheeto-in-Chief.  It could be.  With such an innocuous heading, there's much to throw up your hands about (or just throw up).  With a Senatorial Republican't majority, the sailing through of sub-par cabinet selections was to be expected.  Granted, it would go more speedily if the first choice for Labor Secretary didn't regularly employ illegal aliens, and the National Security Advisor didn't go mouthing off to the Russians before he was authorized to.  Yes, yes, leaks.  Frankly, if I were being accused of improprieties with Moscovian whores, the word "leak" is probably the last one I'd use.  (ed. Tee hee!)

Instead I'm talking about Mozilla: the one-time obvious choice for browser over IE and Safari where one could tailor it to one's specific needs. And, I thought it was building steam.  It had already developed a free and functional e-mail client that was sufficiently capable enough to remove the need for Outlook.  And, it experimented with a phone OS which fell flat against the major mobile players.  You can still download it...if you have an Android phone, and then it acts as a "skin" over your typical Android look.

Finally, while a Firefox app exists for iOS and Android, there's no real marketing push.  It's bare-bones.  It can do the job, but iOS devices already come with web browsers aplenty.  Plus, as browsers go, Firefox no longer reign's supreme as the "only" customizable alternative to IE, edge and Safari.  I believe that the champ for that is now Google's Chrome.  In fact, as of the end of last month (January, 2017), NetMarketShare reported that Google Chrome is easily the #1 Desktop Browser with over 57% of the market.  Where's Firefox?  Mozilla clocks in at over 11, while IE (despite the release of Edge) clocks in at nearly 20%.

Call me a follower, but that's where I'm heading.  I'm taking all of my RSS feeds and loading them into feedly.com.  As I already use G-Mail, my contacts, Google Drive, and e-mail accounts are already integrated...including this blog. Don't get me wrong, Mozilla has publicly declared that they're refocusing on the Firefox browser and improved browsing privacy.  That beats Chrome with a stick as the life-blood of Chrome and the Google business model is to sneak keywords you use and sell them to advertisers.  Still, more and more applications and websites tailor themselves to Chrome as it's the largest, and if you want to maximize functionality, you have to go with the 800 lb. Gorilla in the room.  Maybe, one day, I'll return to Firefox...but until then, I give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment